Links and Resources
Dialect Resources Online
- Accent Help
- African Accents: A Workbook for Actors (audio samples of accompany 11 African accents and dialects)
- American Dialect Society
- American Languages (a UW-Madison project to document American linguistic diversity; visit their library of American dialects)
- National Map of the Regional Dialects of American English (by the University of Pennsylvania)
- Atlas of North American English
- Audio Eloquence (pronunciation, dialect and speech resources for audiobook narrators)
- BBC Voices project (1,200 recordings of British and Irish voices)
- British Library Accents and Dialects of the United Kingdom
- British Library Sounds (thousands of spoken-word recordings)
- Center for Applied Linguistics (interviews with subjects in most US states and territories, and two Canadian provinces)
- Dialect Resource (dialect tapes by Gillian Lane-Plescia)
- Dialectology at Leeds (information on the Survey of English Dialects)
- Dictionary of American Regional English
- Dynamic Dialects (an accent database, containing an articulatory video-based corpus of speech samples)
- North Carolina Language and Life Project
- Paul Meier Dialect Services
- Scots language — a guide
- Speech Accent Archive (foreign-language speakers reading the same English text)
- Stoller System (dialect coaching and design by Amy Stoller)
- Telsur Project (a phonological atlas of North America)
- Vincent Voice Library (many thousands of voice recordings of people both famous and obscure; many playable online)
- Visual Accent and Dialect Archive (video archive of English-language accents and dialects from around the world)
- Voices of the UK (a project of the British Library, a research tool for finding specific online UK dialect recordings)
- Yorkshire Dialect Verse (native Yorkshire poets reading their compositions in dialect)
Drama Schools and Acting Training
- Association for Theatre in Higher Education (theatre departments in U.S. universities)
- Conference of Drama Schools (British drama schools)
- Internet Movie Database
- MeierMovies (a rating and ranking system for theatrically released motion pictures, by IDEA Executive Editor Cameron Meier)
- Babel Fish Translation (Translate a block of text from any language into any other.)
- In Search of the First Language (a PBS Nova TV program transcript)
- Linguistic Society of America
Pronunciation Dictionaries and Resources
- Forvo (Look up any word in any language and hear it pronounced by a native speaker.)
- The Free Dictionary (provides a recording of each word, pronounced in American English)
- J.C. Wells, Longman Pronunciation Dictionary, London, Longman, 1990. (provides both American and British English pronunciations of over 40,000 words, in IPA)
- Kenyon, John S., and Thomas A. Knott, A Pronouncing Dictionary of American English, Merriam, 1944. (revised and updated; provides pronunciation in IPA)
- Audacity (a free, open-source, easy-to-use program that let’s you record and edit sound files in a variety of formats including mp3; be sure to also install LAME, essential if you are also making mp3 files)
- WavePad (a free, open source, easy-to-use program that let’s you record and edit sound files in a variety of formats including mp3)
- Silva Rhetoricae (The Forest of Rhetoric; a glossary of rhetorical terms and figures, compiled by Professor Gideon Burton)
- Shakespeare’s Complete Works online
- Shakespeare Pronunciation (an iOS and Android app, by Shane-Ann Younts and Louis Scheeder) to guide your pronunciation of over 5000 words in the canon)
- Shakespeare Text Search (Type in a phrase, find if Shakespeare used it, and where.)
- Shakespeare’s Words (David and Ben Crystal’s unsurpassed resource; providing the full text of the plays and poems, a searchable glossary integrated with the text, lists of characters, plot synopses, graphic representation of the characters’ relationships in each play, and more)
- Ultimate Shakespeare Resource Guide (a summary of some of the best Shakespeare resources online)
- Voicing Shakespeare, an eBook with embedded sound and video, by Paul Meier, IDEA’s founder and director
- Vocal Process (Gillyanne Kayes and Jeremy Fisher)
Voice, Speech, and Phonetics Sites
- Fitzmaurice Voicework
- Interactive IPA. An iOS app from Paul Meier, IDEA’s founder and director.
- International Phonetic Alphabet. An interactive online demonstration.
- International Phonetic Association
- IPA Handbook
- IPA Keyboard (no download required; allows you to create phonetic unicode text, which you may then simply cut and paste into your own document)
- Kristin Linklater
- Knight/Thompson Speechwork
- Physclips (multimedia introduction to the basic operation of the human voice)
- SAMPA Computer readable phonetic alphabet
- Seeing Speech (speech articulation)
- SIL International (phonetic fonts and more)
- University of Iowa Phonetics (great animated graphics of the speech tract in action)
- University of New South Wales: Sounds of World English
- VASTA (Voice and Speech Trainers Association)
- VASTA Professional Index
- Voice + Speech (Website by Eric Armstrong)
Ayan, Erdal. Teaching Pronunciation: A Critical Approach. Karadeniz Technical University, 2008.
Barton, Robert, with Rocco Dal Vera. Voice: Onstage And Off. Harcourt Brace, 1995.
Blunt, Jerry. Stage Dialects. Dramatic Publishing, 1984.
Gimson, A.C. An Introduction to the Pronunciation of English. Edward Arnold, London, 1964.
Herman, Lewis. Foreign Dialects: A Manual for Actors, Directors and Writers. Routledge, 1997.
Hughes, Arthur, and Peter Trudgill. English Accents and Dialects, 3rd. ed. London: Edward Arnold, 1983.
Kur, Barry. Stage Dialect Studies. Available through the author: 609 West Fairmount Ave., State College, PA 16801.
Lane-Plescia, Gillian. Dialects and Accents for Actors. 66 Mathewson Mill Rd., Preston, CT 06365. www.dialectresource.com.
Machlin, Evangeline. Dialects for the Stage. New York: Theatre Arts Books, 1975.
Meier, Paul. Accents and Dialects for Stage and Screen. Paul Meier Dialect Services, 4316 Wimbledon Drive, Lawrence, KS 66047, USA. www.paulmeier.com.
Molin, Donald H. Actor’s Encyclopedia of Dialects, 2nd ed. New York: Sterling Publishers, 1991.
Stern, David Alan. Acting with an Accent. Dialect Accents Specialists, Inc., 51 Depot St. Lyndonville, Vt. 05851-0044.
Wells, J.C. Accents of English. London: Cambridge University Press, 1982, rep. 1985.